Financial Information - FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:        How much are tuition and fees at Atlanta Technical College?

A:        Fee schedule

Q:        What type of financial aid is offered at Atlanta Technical College?
A:         ATC offers the following Federal and State financial aid programs:

State funded financial aid programs
  include the HOPE Grant, HOPE Scholarship, Zell Miller Scholarship, HOPE GED and HERO.
Federally funded financial aid programs include Pell Grant, SEOG, and Federal Work Study (FWS).

Q:        How do I apply for financial aid?
A:         The following websites below are where you would need to go in order to apply for federal and state financial aid programs:

GSFAPPS  for State funded programs
FAFSA:  for Federally funded programs
Additional information about financial aid may be found here:

Q:        How do I complete the FAFSA?
A:            You can complete the FAFSA application online by going to their website at . If you need additional assistance with the application process, call FAFSA at 1-800-433-3243.  Use the FAFSA Web Worksheet to assist you in applying by clicking the link below:

Q:        Does Atlanta Technical College accept loans as a way to pay for tuition?
A:            Atlanta Technical does participate in the federal student loan program. 

Q:        Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid?
A:            No. You can apply for financial aid anytime and it is highly recommended that you apply for aid by March 1st preceding the academic year you plan to enroll and no later than 8 weeks prior to your targeted date of enrollment; however, you must be admitted and enrolled in classes to receive funding.

Q:        Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?
A:            Yes, each fiscal year you must reapply for federal funding using the FAFSA. It is not necessary to reapply for HOPE (GSFAPPS).

Q:        When will I get my Pell/FAFSA refund?
A:            Processing for all refunds start around the 4th week of the quarter and all funds will be issued on you Higher One Card (Easy Refund).  However, students who have been awarded federal funds may use their funds in the Atlanta Technical College Bookstore beginning on the first day of the term.

Q:        How do I know if I have been awarded financial aid?
A:            You will be sent an award letter via email.

Q:        If I am a Degree student, can I still receive HOPE funds?
A:            Possibly. If you are a HOPE Scholar from high school with a 3.0 GPA or after you      have attempted 45, 90, or 135 credit hours that will transfer into the degree program with a 3.0 GPA  AND you must have graduated high school/earned your GED within the last seven years.

Q:        I did not file an income tax return.  What do I do?
A:            If select for verification or required to document income, you must submit copies of W-2 forms and/or proof of any other source of income.  Also, you must obtain proof of your non-filing status from the IRS.

Q:        Will the HOPE grant pay my Technology Fee?
A:            No.

Q:        Will Pell pay my Technology fee?
A:            Yes, if your Pell eligibility covers the total cost of your tuition and fees.

Q:        If I start out as a Diploma or Certificate student and later change to an Associate
Degree, can I still receive HOPE Funds?
A:            Possibly, after you have attempted 30, 60 or 90 semester hours that will transfer to your degree program with a cumulative 3.0 GPA at the appropriate checkpoint. (All prior College credit taken will be counted toward attempted hours)

Q:        What happens if I change my major?
A:            It may affect the type of aid you are eligible for (i.e., if you change your degree status from Diploma to Associate).

Q:        Why do I have to include my parent’s income if I no longer live with them or they do not support me?
A:            Federal Regulations require it for most students under the age of 24.

Q:        Will my financial aid pay for my books and tuition?
A:            If you qualify for HOPE funds, HOPE will pay 82% of Tuition only.  Students who qualify for Pell may use Pell funding, beyond the cost of tuition and fees, in the Bookstore.

Q:        Is there a HOPE cap on the number of hours that HOPE will pay?
A:            Yes, a cap of 63 paid semester hours (or 95 quarter hours) for certificate and diploma programs for the HOPE Grant Program and 127 semester hours (or 190 quarter hours) for degree programs for the HOPE Scholarship Program.  There is also a combined cap of 127 grant and scholarship semester hours (or 190 combined quarter hours).  If you reach 127 combined hours before you reach paid 63 grant hours, you lose your eligibility for grant hours.

Q:        Do I have to be a full time student to get financial aid?
A:            No.

Q:        How much is the late fee?
A:            $45

Q:        What is work study?
A:          Work Study is a federally funded program that provides part-time employment on campus to students. It offers exposure to real work experiences, development of positive work ethics and time management skills. Recipients must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or greater and a 67% completion rate.  

Q:        How do I sign up for work study?

A:            You must complete the ATC Federal Work Study Application, which is on the ATC website or you may pick up an application in the Financial Aid Office.

Q:        Does ATC offer any additional funding for tuition, books, and supplies?
A:            Yes, we also offer programs like WIA and AIM.  These programs are coordinated by the following staff members:
WIA:  Ms. Mattie Goss –
AIM:  Mr. Henry Carter –, Ms. Velva Lewis –

Q:        Does ATC offer any scholarships?
A:            Yes, you can click on the link below to see a list of all available scholarships. (PLEASE NOTE THAT SCHOLARSHIPS ARE UPDATED EACH TERM AND ARE ONLY AVAILABLE IF FUNDING IS AVAILABLE) Atlanta Technical College Foundation Scholarships

Q:        Does ATC offer students checking and/or saving accounts?
A:            Yes, we do provide a Higher One Card, which can be used for various things, like Direct Deposit. To see what else you can do with you Higher One Card, please visit

Q:        What is Higher One?
A:            Higher One is a refund card provided to students. Refunds are paid through the Higher One - MyoneAccount card.

Q:    What happens if I have to quit ATC because of personal or other reasons, will I be eligible for aid the following semester? Will I have to pay my financial aid back?
A:            It depends on your satisfactory academic progress (SAP) status at the time of withdrawal. Students who receive federal funds may have to repay funds if they totally withdraw prior to the 60% point of the term.

Students who withdraw from all oftheir courses for the term must complete a withdrawal form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office. Those who fail to complete the official withdrawal form may be withdrawn from the program for lack of attendance.

Withdrawal forms are available in the Registrar’s office. The effective date of withdrawal is the date the student notifies the college of withdrawal or the date specified by the student, whichever is later. Students withdrawing after the third (3rd) instructional day of the term will not receive a refund of applicable tuition and fees.