7th Annual Bridge Builder Awards

May 21, 2008

2008 Bridge Honorees


Arlane RobinsonDR. BRENDA WATTS JONES (1952-2007)
As leader of Atlanta Technical College since 1996, Dr. Brenda Watts Jones inherited a struggling institution and transformed it into an educational powerhouse. Her visionary leadership brought national and international recognition to Atlanta Tech. For more than twenty years, Dr. Jones was on the frontlines of higher education. She was the first and only African-American female to lead a technical college in Georgia. The Daphne, Alabama, native earned her BA in sociology from Dillard University before completing graduate work at Atlanta University and Georgia State University. She was tapped to lead then—Atlanta Technical Institute in 1997. Dr. Jones directed one of the fastest-growing and busiest technical colleges in the state. It was Dr. Jones’s efforts that led to the establishment of the Atlanta Technical College Foundation in September 1999. The Bridge Builder Awards, the Foundation’s major annual fundraising event, was the incredible brainchild of Dr. Jones. We are striving each day to continue the legacy that she left for Atlanta Tech and the Atlanta community.

Ray RobinsonMR. GEORGE LOTTIER (1944-2007)
George Lottier served as the president of the Georgia Minority Supplier Development Council (GMSDC) for the past seven years and had been an active member of its board for the past 20 years. The number of certified minority businesses certified by GMSDC grew from 350 to an astounding 750. During his service at GMSDC, Mr. Lottier gave generously of his time and skill to the Atlanta business community. A native of Baltimore, MA, Mr. Lottier graduated from Baltimore City College and attended Morgan State University. In addition to his tenure at GMSDC, Mr. Lottier also served as president of Plastic Impressions, president and CEO of Gemini Plastics, national product manager of the James River Corporation, Atlanta Tribune Board member and an esteemed member of the Atlanta Technical College Foundation Board of Directors. Mr. Lottier was always extremely supportive of Atlanta Technical College and its Foundation, providing valuable strategic advice and facilitating the development of critical relationships. He was also very nurturing to the students of Atlanta Tech which was demonstrated through his hiring of several Atlanta Tech students as interns. His dedication and tireless efforts will not soon be forgotten.

Ray RobinsonDR. JULIE GERBERDING
Julie Louise Gerberding, M.D., M.P.H., became the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Administrator of the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) on July 3, 2002. Before becoming CDC Director and ATSDR Administrator, Dr. Gerberding was Acting Deputy Director of the National Center for Infectious Diseases (NCID), where she played a major role in leading CDC’s response to the anthrax bioterrorism events of 2001. She joined CDC in 1998 as Director of the Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, NCID, where she developed CDC’s patient safety initiatives and other programs to prevent infections, antimicrobial resistance, and medical errors in healthcare settings. Prior to coming to CDC, Dr. Gerberding was a faculty member at the University of California at San Francisco (UCSF) and directed the Prevention Epicenter, a multidisciplinary research, training, and clinical service program that focused on preventing infections in patients and their healthcare providers. Dr. Gerberding is a Clinical Professor of Medicine (Infectious Diseases) at Emory University and an Associate Professor of Medicine (Infectious Diseases) at UCSF. She earned a B.A. magna cum laude in chemistry and biology and a M.D. at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. Dr. Gerberding then completed her internship and residency in internal medicine at UCSF, where she also served as Chief Medical Resident before completing her fellowship in Clinical Pharmacology and Infectious Diseases at UCSF. She earned a M.P.H. degree at the University of California, Berkeley in 1990.