The Pharmacy Technology program is a sequence of courses that prepares students for careers in the pharmacy field. Learning opportunities develop academic and professional knowledge and skills required for job acquisition, retention, and advancement. Pharmacy Technology program graduates are prepared to function as pharmacy technicians in positions requiring preparation of medications according to prescriptions under supervision of a pharmacist. Program graduates are to be competent in the general areas of communications, math, interpersonal relations, and computer literacy. Graduates are also to be competent to perform basic occupational functions relations, and computer literacy. Graduates are also to be competent to perform basic occupational functions including pouring, weighing, or measuring dosage; grinding, heating, filtering, dissolving, and mixing liquid or soluble drugs and chemicals; procuring, storing and issuing pharmaceutical materials and supplies; and maintaining files and records. Graduate of the program receive a Pharmacy Technology diploma which qualifies them as pharmacy technician. Graduates will be employable as an entry level pharmacy technician.
The Pharmacy Technology Program conducted by Atlanta Technical College is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Completion of high school diploma or GED and submission of official transcript required to apply
- Cannot be convicted of a felony that occurred within the last ten (10) years, and/or any conviction that was drug or pharmacy related
- Achievement of minimum program admission scores in Reading, English, and Math
- Transfer of previous post secondary credits will be determined by the registrar
Student Performance/Graduation Requirements
- Students must maintain a 2.0 grade point average and complete all required courses to graduate
- Must complete MATH 1012 with a minimum letter grade of B within 2 attempts
- Must complete PHAR 1000 with a minimum letter grade of B within 2 attempts
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES: Graduates of the Pharmacy Technology program are prepared for employment in hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, home infusion pharmacies, institutional pharmacies, military base pharmacies, major drug companies and other healthcare facilities requiring professional qualified personnel. NOTE: A felony conviction may limit employment opportunities.
LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION: Upon completion of the Pharmacy Technology program, students may register to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination (PTCE). In order to sit for the PTCE, a candidate must have received a high school diploma or GED by application receipt deadline for the exam and have never been convicted of a felony.
PRACTICUM EDUCATION: Pharmacy Technology students will be required to complete practicum assignments which will be given by the instructor at the beginning of the semester. Requirements for practicum courses include a minimum of 20 hours a week in a supervised setting, for a total of 225 hours. Students may not receive pay from the sites for these hours. Student evaluations are completed by the practicum site preceptor and the program instructor, as well as weekly time sheets. The student is required to adhere to his/her practicum schedule at all times and a total of 450 hours is required to graduate. All students must know that traveling may be required for practicum rotations.
Special Requirements of the Practicum Sites:
- CPR Certification
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Drug Screening
- Criminal Background Check
- Registration with the State of Georgia as Pharmacy Technician
- Physical, and lab work including TB testing and immunizations
SALARY POTENTIAL: $20,000- $35,000
PROGRAM ADDITIONAL FEES (Cost are estimated and are subject to change):
- Books & Supplies: $2,000.00
- CPR Card $6.00
- Liability Insurance: $11.00 per year
- Certification Exam: $129.00
- Physical Exam: $150.00
- TB Test: $40.00
- 10 Panel Drug Test: $50.00
- Criminal Background Check: $50.00
- Pharmacy Technician Registration/Fingerprint : $136.25