In an effort to provide students with assistance in improving their reading proficiency, vocabulary and critical thinking skills, Atlanta Technical College has developed the Reading Oasis. This program is a component of the college’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), which is a long-term strategic initiative designed to ensure continuous improvement and growth.
Through the Reading Oasis, students enrolled in allied health programs, early childhood care and education and culinary arts are given extra support in grasping literacy-related content. With the help of the Reading Oasis, the college hopes to boost student retention and graduation rates.
- Reading tutorials to include comprehension and vocabulary skills, study skills, test taking skills, computer skills, and basic advisement.
- Assistance developing personalized study plans based on each student’s needs following a carefully developed diagnostic assessment.
- We also offer a faculty development initiative to equip instructors with basic instructional tools that assist students within the classroom.
- The Reading Oasis also offers instructors the means by which to identify students in need of our individualized services.
- Presently, we have several discipline-inspired resources, and we are all trained in the Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Dynamics program. Colleagues, as your personal advocate, we are available to meet your needs though classroom orientation and training or faculty in-service and preparation.
Ferguson Hall – D2002, Rooms B, C, & D