Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How much are tuition and fees at Atlanta Technical College?

A: Click HERE to review the current 2016-2017 Academic Year tuition and fees.

Q: What type of Financial Aid is offered at Atlanta Technical College?
Click HERE to review the Federal Financial Aid programs

Click HERE to review the State Financial Aid programs

Q: How do I apply for Financial Aid?
Click HERE for information on how to apply for federal Financial Aid. Also watch the short    video on how to fill out the FAFSA. Click HERE for information on how to apply for State Financial Aid

Q: Does Atlanta Technical College accept loans as a way to pay for tuition?
A: Yes, click HERE for information regarding the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program. Also watch the short video on responsible loan borrowing.

Q: Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for Financial Aid?
No. You can apply for Financial Aid anytime and it is highly recommended that you apply for aid by March 1st preceding the academic year you plan to enroll and no later than 8 weeks prior to your targeted date of enrollment; however, you must be admitted and enrolled in classes to receive funding.

Q: Do I have to reapply for Financial Aid every year?
Yes, each fiscal year you must reapply for federal funding using the FAFSA. It is not necessary to reapply for HOPE (GSFAPPS).

Q: When will I get my Pell/FAFSA refund?
Processing for all refunds begin around the 4th week of the semester and all funds will be issued on your Bank Mobile Card. However, students who have been awarded federal funds may use their funds in the Atlanta Technical College Bookstore beginning on the first day of the term.

Q: How do I know if I have been awarded financial aid?
Students are encouraged to check their Financial Aid status through their Student Portal regularly for any updates. Also, Award letters are emailed to you. Click HERE to log into your Student Portal.

Q: If I am a Degree student, can I still receive HOPE funds?
Possibly. If you are a HOPE Scholar from high school with a 3.0 GPA or after you have attempted 45, 90, or 135 credit hours that will transfer into the degree program with a 3.0 GPA AND you must have graduated high school/earned your GED within the last seven years.

Q: I did not file an income tax return. What do I do?
: If select for verification or required to document income, you must submit copies of W-2 forms and/or proof of any other source of income. Also, you must obtain proof of your non-filing status from the IRS. Please click HERE for information about verification and how to contact the IRS.  

Q: Will the HOPE Grant pay my technology Fee?
No. HOPE Grant does not cover technology fees.

Q: Will Pell Grant pay my mandatory fees?

A: Possibly. Your Financial Aid eligibility will determine whether or not you have enough funds to cover mandatory fees.

Q: If I start out as a Diploma or Certificate student and later change to an Associate Degree, can I still receive HOPE Funds?
Possibly, after you have attempted 30, 60 or 90 semester hours that will transfer to your degree program with a cumulative 3.0 GPA at the appropriate checkpoint. (All prior College credit taken will be counted toward attempted hours)

Q: What happens if I change my major?
It may affect the type of aid you are eligible for (i.e., if you change your degree status from Diploma to Associate).

Q: Why do I have to include my parent’s income if I no longer live with them or they do not support me?
Per federal regulations, a student who meets any of the following criteria is classified as an independent student IF:

  • If you are under the age of 24,
  • Is currently serving on active duty for purposes other than training,
  • Classified as a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces,
  • Has dependents other than a spouse,
  • Classified as an orphan, foster child, or ward/dependent of the court at any time since the age of 13,
  • Classified as a emancipated minor or in legal guardianship,
  • Classified as homeless.

Q: Will my Financial Aid pay for my books and tuition?
If you qualify for HOPE funds, HOPE will pay 82% of Tuition only. Students who qualify for Pell may use Pell funding, beyond the cost of tuition and fees, in the Bookstore.

Q: Is there a HOPE cap on the number of hours that HOPE will pay?
Yes, a cap of 63 paid semester hours (or 95 quarter hours) for certificate and diploma programs for the HOPE Grant Program and 127 semester hours (or 190 quarter hours) for degree programs for the HOPE Scholarship Program. There is also a combined cap of 127 grant and scholarship semester hours (or 190 combined quarter hours). If you reach 127 combined hours before you reach paid 63 grant hours, you lose your eligibility for grant hours.

Q: Do I have to be a full time student to get Financial Aid?

Q: How much is the late registration fee?

Q: What is work study?
Work Study is a federally funded program that provides part-time employment on campus to students. It offers exposure to real work experiences, development of positive work ethics and time management skills. Recipients must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or greater and a 67% completion rate.

Q: How do I sign up for work study?
Click HERE to download the work-study application. All application must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office.

Q: Does ATC offer any additional funding for tuition, books, and supplies?
Yes, we also offer programs like WIA and AIM. These programs are coordinated by the following staff members:

WIA: Ms. Mattie Goss –

AIM: Mr. Henry Carter – hcarter@atlantatech.ed

Ms. Velva Lewis –

Q: Does ATC offer any scholarships?
Yes, click HERE for information on Foundation Scholarship that may be available.

Q: What is BankMobile?
BankMobile is your official Atlanta Technical College Refund Disbursement Processor. Click HERE on more information regarding your BankMobile Card.

Q: What happens if I have to quit ATC because of personal or other reasons, will I be eligible for aid the following semester? Will I have to pay my Financial Aid back?
A: It depends on your satisfactory academic progress (SAP) status at the time of withdrawal. Students who receive federal funds may have to repay funds if they totally withdraw prior to the 60% point of the term.

Students who withdraw from all of their courses for the term must complete a withdrawal form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office. Those who fail to complete the official withdrawal form may be withdrawn from the program for lack of attendance. Click HERE for more information on withdrawals